- 40 million inhabitants
- Area: approximately 1,900,000 Km2
The third largest country in Africa, after Algeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- 21 inhabitants / km2 (as against 19 in South Sudan)
- Fertility rate: 4.3 children / woman
- The capital, Khartoum, has about 5 million inhabitants with the surrounding districts (Omdurman and Bahri)
- Official language: Arabic
- Over 90% of the population is Muslim.
Islamic law (sharia) is in force.
- Literacy rate: 70%
- Public debt: 90% of GDP
- GDP growth rate: 3 to 5% / year (0% since 2018)
- Agriculture accounts for 80% of workforce and 40% of GDP
- Expenditure on social development: 0.3% of GDP
- Annual inflation: between 30% and 60%.
- Currency: Sudanese Pound (SDD) Areas of internal conflict: Darfur (west), Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile (areas bordering South Sudan).